Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Silence

Silence

So much silence in the midst of my day
Where is the noise that shows me the way
Why are the birds not singing their song
When did the music of life go so wrong

Why am I walking alone on the street
Where are the people I so often meet
When did the cars stop honking their horns
At passerbys who walk proudly with scorn

When will the silence disappear from this day
Will it choose to go, or to stubbornly stay
Will I walk quietly, no sound to observe
Should I cry out for courage or lose my nerve

When in the night I expect silence and peace,
But the day should have singing our voices release
Often the silence brings numerous thoughts,
Without silence I focus on what sound has brought

Where is the hum of machine and of man
Where is the symphony of orchestra and band
Why is the player not plucking his guitar
Did he wander away to a city afar


Why did the fellow stop playing his horn
Perhaps his sheet music was terribly worn
Did the violin player lose his string and his bow
Did the piano player forget his key strokes

I'll stop for a minute, pause, consider the plight
Where silence is golden in day and in night
The noises will surely come in everyday living,
Yet Silence has taught me to cherish it's giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment